Thursday, July 5, 2007

Posts and beams installed




Today I built the beams using 2x10 pressure treated wood with a sandwich filling of 1/2" exterior grade plywood. The beams are exactly 18' long. The two layers of pressure treated 2x10 have coated screws every one foot and then 10d galvinized sinkers every 6" in two rows on each side. The seams are off set as I used a ten foot and an eight foot board on each side. Look for the crown on the beam when layed on end and place it up when installing on the posts.

I also cut the posts for the eight footings today. Using a string and string level I determined the difference in elevation between each footing top using the highest one as the standard. I then determined how high I wanted the Kuti off the ground at the lowest point ( remember you will ALWAYS want to get under the building at some point ) and factored that into my equation. I then installed the posts on the footings using treated 3" screws doing my best to get them plumb and level in relation to all of the others.

Next using galvanized clamps I installed the 4x10x18' beams on top of the posts, again using coated screws made for use in pressure treated wood.

No comments: